Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: Wake Me Up Inside by Cardeno C

Wake Me Up Inside (Mates #1) by Cardeno C
Novel: 74,755
Amazon, All Romance
3.75 Pants Off

Blurb:
A Mates Series Story  A powerful Alpha wolf shifter and a strong-willed human overcome traditions ingrained over generations and uncover long-buried secrets to fulfill their destiny as true mates.   

Regarded as the strongest wolf shifter in generations, Alpha Zev Hassick is surprised and confused by his attraction to his best friend. His very human, very male best friend. A male shifter has to mate with a female shifter to keep his humanity, so shifters can't be gay. Yet, everything inside Zev tells him Jonah is his true mate.   

Maintaining a relationship with the man he has loved since childhood isn’t easy for Jonah Marvel, but he won’t let distance or Zev’s odd family get in their way. When unexplained ailments begin to plague Jonah, he needs to save his own life and sanity in order to have a future with Zev.  

 Zev and Jonah know they're destined for each other, but they must overcome traditions ingrained over generations and long-buried secrets to fulfill their destiny. 

 
Review
I haven't read much Cardeno C but the author is quickly growing on me. While the formula isn't always perfect for me in the writing. There is something endearing and engaging about the characters that pull me right in, and this Mates series is pulling me right in. I'm a big fan of shifter books with mates. This overwhelming need to bone and possessiveness that comes with it. It makes me happy to ditch my pants, and leaves me with a girl boner. 

Zev Hassick is being groomed to be the next Alpha. He comes from a line of proud wolves whose lead their people with a firm hand and strong traditions. From a small boy it was clear that Zev would be powerful and make a very strong Alpha. His first series of shifts leads Zev to a human boy with an amazing scent and the two begin an unlikely friendship that carries them through the years. Zev knows he shouldn't become attach to humans but there is something about the boy he knows as Jonah and he will do anything to get close to him. So he does what any young boy would do to get his way. A little bit of manipulation with his parents and he gets to spend time with Jonah who is his best friend when he's both man and wolf. 

Zev can't quite figure out his feelings for Jonah, and deep down this feels like more than friendship. It feels important, it feels vital, and that scares him. So when a little rough playing leads to an awakening in both body and mind Zev realizes he's found his true mate. Which is crazy as feck cuz Jonah is a man, he's a man and somethings not adding up. But finding a true mate is a gift and Zev accepts it for what it is. Jonah is his, and he must claim him. Easier said than done. Shifter/human relationships is a big no, and alphas are meant to mate only with females and the last time he checked Jonah was all male. Thus begins a long distance relationship and two men almost perishing for keeping it in their pants for a long time. Doesn't mean they can't have a little fun to ease them over. 

Alright, so this started off real strong from me and along the way I created expectations. I didn't call anything on the relationship. I was expecting angst and pining but overall it was actually very sweet. Not like anything is wrong with sweet but I really wanted angst. Zev is…he's big, he's kind, and not a horrible character (man is super naïve though). Like I'm talking “what is this butt sex” between males naive. Jonah is Jonah. There's nothing really standout about him and in all honesty he's a very forgettable character to me.  

The story would have done amazing with a little sizzle but the conflict was resolved quickly and overall quite predictable. Yet, I did really like it, and enjoyed Zev and Jonah together sometimes those two really brought the heat. While it did get a little draggy at the end I was never bored and remained intrigued. In all honesty I'm a sucker for the true mates shit and this had it in folds. I will say it ended quite abruptly and I never got the crazy that was supposed to come with the Alpha being mated to man, but in all honesty the book had run out of time. Anymore would have been too much. 

Overall a very cute story that had some high and very low points. Eye roll numerous was out in full swing for this one. Sometimes I was just like "slow your roll. You asses are being a bit to much". But I still freaking liked it and look forward to reading the others in the series.                                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!