Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review: Shiny by Amy Lane

Reviewed by Whuppsy
Shiny by Amy Lane
Dreamspinner Press
Novel: 200pgs
5 Pants Off 

Blurb:
Will Lafferty and Kenny Scalia are both having sort of a day. Will gets fired for letting fifth graders read Harry Potter, and Kenny finds his boyfriend and his sex toys in bed with a complete stranger. When Will knocks over Kenny's trash can—and strews Kenny's personal business all over the street—it feels like the perfect craptastic climax to the sewage of suckage that has rained down on them both.

But ever-friendly, ever-kind Will asks snarky Kenny out for a beer—God knows they both need one—and two amazing things occur: Kenny discovers talking to Will might be the best form of intercourse ever, and Will discovers he's gay.

Their unlikely friendship seems like the perfect platonic match until Will reveals how very much more he’s been feeling for Kenny almost since the beginning. But Kenny’s worried. Will’s new-found sexuality is bright and glittery and shiny, but what happens when that wears off? Is Will's infatuation with Kenny strong enough to stay real?

Review
Amy Lane is ALWAYS A MUST BUY for me. Her books have always dragged me over coals. I read on of her books and know that I need a bubble bath and a big ol’ glass of wine to just relax and be. So, when I had the chance to review her newest book, Shiny!, I totally jumped at the chance.

Shiny! Is about Will Lafferty and Kenny Scalia these two guys were just so sweet and wonderful together. I can’t imagine ANYONE else for them. They just fit together like nothing I’ve seen in awhile.

Will is a grade school teacher and he also does web design work. He’s this sweet, kind, loving, self -proclaimed Mommy’s boy. He’s got the kindest heart and sweetest disposition that I’ve ever read about. He’s just amazing. He’s kinds seeing this woman, but as he states repeatedly in the story, he’s just not really into her. Hell, he’s not been into any woman that he’s met or slept with. He also wants to write a comic book, but he’s not that great of an illustrator.

Kenny Scalia is this amazing guy who is so colorful and wonderful. He’s this sweet guy who just wants to have the love and partner and family that he’s always dreamed of. He is so just freaking cute, I don’t even have the words to describe how much I really liked Kenny. He is a bit insecure when it comes to his worth as he’s had guys he’s dated in the past leave him for something, shiny.

I love the story moves from present day to the past. I loved seeing that they were together and yet, how it all began. It was like reading an epilogue only it was part of the story. We got to see how they ended up and how they began in one swoop.

I loved how the story just flowed along the pages. There was nothing jarring to pull me from what I was reading. I got to enjoy reading about how these two men fell in love. How sweet and lighthearted it was. Now, Amy is KNOWN for ripping you to shreds and this story didn’t have that. It had just a sweet touch of angst, but nothing too heart-wrenching. It was just an enjoyable read.

The secondary characters gave just enough to let you know that they loved and appreciated and really liked our characters. They allowed our characters to just be and also to have some really amazing sounding boards. They added just enough to the story without overwhelming it. I really loved Will’s Mommy!! She had just the absolute love for her son and when he announced that he was gay, took it in stride. Like it wasn’t anything big enough to make her stop loving her son.

I will say that the humor in the story was just amazing. I loved that this story made me laugh and feel really good. I always love a story that makes me feel good and this one really did. The way that Will and Kenny bantered and flirted with each other was so freaking precious. I loved that the way that they met was so funny and yet the beginning of the very best thing that ever happened to them.

I love that their relationship grew over time. That it wasn’t insta-love that they became friends before becoming lovers. That made their relationship all the more special. I loved that they supported and cheered the other on when good things happened. I love that no matter what was going on, they had each other to lean on.

I will say that this is just the kind of story you can read when you want a sweet, tender romance. When you’ve had a bad day, reading this will definitely put you in a better mood. Amy has really pulled out an amazing story and just let you have a ball going along for the ride.

Read. This. Book. You will not be disappointed.

5 Pants Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!